What are the Best Acoustic Guitar Strings? – 2018 Edition
When it comes to buying the best acoustic guitar strings and other accessories for the guitar person in your home or a fellow band mate there are a large number of things one must know to consider.
The following guide has the answer to all those intricacies one might ever need to know when it comes to the acoustic guitar’s strings. If you have any further questions in need of answers, please contact the site’s staff of experts.
Acoustic Guitar Strings
**You'll find detailed comparison below, but you can also check the prices or read Amazon Customer Reviews by click the links above.
Acoustic guitars, although they are simpler in style and design than their younger family members, the electric varieties, can also be a bit trickier.
Not having the additional help and support from amps, sound boards and pick ups can be readily notice, especially to those with a trained ear and due to this one finds just how much they will rely on the different varieties of guitar strings.
Careful considerations prior to purchasing your strings should include the following examples.
Normally strings styles match up with the body style of the guitar. The large-bodied styles will take heavier gauges whereas the small-bodied will support the lighter gauges.
- Finger Picking – The light strings are best for those that play by finger picking.
- Strumming – Medium gauge is the top choice for those strumming.
- Strum / Pick Mix – The option most used by these players is a half mix. Three light on top and three mediums on bottom.
If you seek treble level tones the lighter strings are the ones to cover your tone needs. The lighter strings also make it possible to pick up on the finger picking and finger strumming sounds techniques.
However, if you seek bassier tone sounds you will want to gravitate to the heavier of the strings.
Age of Instrument
The older the acoustic guitar the frailer and fragile it tends to become, especially in the case of those vintage instruments.
Beware as the heavier strings are known to cause strain, bends, and all around bad conditioning that can lead towards ruining or breaking of favorite guitars.
Nylon vs Steel
There are two select distinctions between varieties in the acoustic field of guitar. Those would be the nylon equipped stringed styles of the flamenco or the classical or the steel string styles.
You must use some caution here as often the style of strings cannot not be interchanged without causing tears and damages to your favorite pieces of equipment
The sounds that can be expected with vary based upon the distinct selection you have made in regards to guitar selection. For the acoustic guitar “family” there are three modern and main “siblings”.
- The Classic – This is the guitar known for its nylon strings.
- The Steel String – Descendant of The Classic but uses steel strings.
- The Archtop – Full bodied with the archtop, preferred by Jazz players.
- The Gauge - String gauges or thicknesses are measured using thousands of an inch. The smallest of which begin at 0.10 and the heaviest at 0.59. The following chart shows the various set gauges by name and weights typically offered in each.
String gauges or thicknesses are measured using thousands of an inch. The smallest of which begin at 0.10 and the heaviest at 0.59. The following chart shows the various set gauges by name and weights typically offered in each.
*Note from Seller*
Classical acoustic guitar strings will also use tension as well as the gauge breakdown mentioned and demonstrated within this section.
To gain a better understanding how the chart reflects the music you play and appreciate we will further break down a couple of the gauge varieties using an in-depth approach.
- The hardest to play overall gauge, hands down, is the heavier string.
- The most volume will come from the heavier gauge guitar string.
- Less strain and tension to the neck of one’s guitar occurs with a lighter gauge.
- Strings that break the easiest during use are the lighter packs.
- Is Fret buzz an issue? Gauging up the low range string should fix you up.
Popular brand based types of strings have even more aspects that will also affect the overall sounds and compositions.
The various manufacturing companies are known to incorporate different materials, methods, thickness, and varieties that become known as signature aspects of the strings they make.
These key signature differences have those who play the guitar quickly becoming brand-fans. These dedicated brand-fans are known to make their purchasing options based on brand name first.
- 80/20 – 80% copper / 20%zinc – as a wrap makes for a deep bass with crisp overtones
- 80/15 – 85% copper / 15% zinc – a mid-range of the 80/20 but with more warmth
- Phosphor Bronze – 92% copper / 8% tin / trace of phosphor – sound retained longer, strings last longer, mellower yet warmer tone
- Silver Plated Copper – classical guitar string standards
- Silk and steel – softer much like the classical strings, easier to fret, fingerstyle popular
- Stainless Steel – non-magnetic with exceptional volume and brightness
- Nickle Plated – surface softness reduces fret wear and finger noise
- Pure Nickle – brought back from the 50’s vintage sounds with a smoother feel
- Plain Strings
- Steel – plain electronics strings
- Nylon – mono-filament nylon
- Fluoro-Carbon – higher density and smaller fiber than nylon
- Coated Strings - These longer lasting strings have become increasingly popular though a bit more expensive. Coatings are good for keeping the finger “gunk” off of you strings.
More source about Guitar Strings Material: Guitar Strings: Materials, Construction and Benefits Explained
The best acoustic guitar strings come in styles and types have been examined, tested, and tried, and you’ve had a chance to try or at the very least narrow your next acoustic guitar strings purchase.
The variety you might select have multitudes of adjustments in which might alter the packaging.
Sizes, materials, and other areas covered throughout this guide helps create the variations and expenditures not only with one but the many to be purchase.
The continuation of this site’s knowledge and understanding will be a growing long-term asset to you the consumer.
We are here offering, the latest and the greatest buyer’s guides, the goals of which are simple, to help all of our most valued customers make the most informed decisions.
You may want to read this Buying Guide for Guitar Strings.
Top 4 Best Acoustic Guitar Strings Reviews
1. Martin MSP7200 SP Lifespan 92/8 Phosphor Bronze Strings
The experts at Martin Guitars.com are available to offer expert guidance and proper answers to any questions their customer base might presently be in the need.
Throughout the years they have learned the true value of not only their machines but also the accessories in which the true sound comes.
If you are wanting to impress your audience and stand out in the crowd you’ve come to the perfect location as the strings by Martin are made for the specific basis of offering “next level” output.
Martin’s have withstood the many tests of time and continue to grow and shine.
- Custom strings with custom instruments in mind.
- String offerings for all variations of music to be made.
- High quality and long lasting string offerings.
- Strings create a warm yet long lasting sound.
- These Martin MSP7200 SP Lifespan 92/8 Phosphor Bronze strings would be perfect for guitars such as the Little Martin.
- Martin strings are built to last even when being handled in the worst of ways.
- Martin made strings being used on non Martin machines have some strings now not having the lifespan they formerly held thus disappointing some, however the price breaks help the overall feel.
- Do not hold tone sets as well as other brands, however, they are far above the rest in other areas of sound qualities.
2. Elixir Strings 16545 Acoustic Phosphor Bronze Guitar Strings
Elixir while attempting to earn and maintain the number one spot among all those that are in the guitar accessory markets.
They are doing this by offering top of the line products like no others around.
If you are in the market for an elite, to- quality product then your search is now completed.
The superior coatings found to leave no spots blank or un protected are a class act.
- The best strings for acoustic guitars that are rated for the acoustic guitar strings could easily be the Elixir. Their strings come offering performances that are always consistent.
- Only coated strings that have no gaps or holes in the entire strings coat.
- Corrosion and rust free steel strings.
- Expense and hassle are nearly illustrated by extras offered.
- Customers have a real voice. Elixir prepares, reviews, evaluates, and follows through with the needs of their customer base by utilizing quality, well-developed surveys.
- Although the pricing structure is a higher base than other companies currently is only based upon the receiving of above grade products.
- Drawbacks creating a negative appear to some in regards to the string’s coating, specifically, once wear becomes apparent.
3. Martin SP, Acoustic Guitar Strings, Light Gauge, Phosphor Bronze, MSP4100
From the house of Martin and Company the last 175 plus years have been filled with masterful sounds and equipment for the best guitar strings for acoustic players.
The Martin SP series is for sounds that are perfect for the studio or the grandest of performance halls.
What this means for you the customer is an excellent selection of the best acoustic guitar strings one could possibly hope to acquire.
- String’s length is made for a full size guitar.
- G key is wound
- Super strong and do not break easily.
- Clear and bright sound that holds a tune very well.
- A thirty year playing veteran gives a big thumb up in regards to sound, durability, functionality, and overall dependability.
- Lasting performance even near the ocean breezes with every package purchased.
- Sounds from the Martin’s are a love them or hate them sound.
4. D'Addario EJ17-10P Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings
If you are in the market for top rated acoustic guitar strings the D’Addario brand is one that should be paid attention.
This company has already shown it has the ability to withstand the changing times while being able to remain on the top of guitar string lists.
D’Addario has been warm hearts and opening ears to the delightful sounds produced when playing with their strings since 1974.
- Well balance, bright, and warm tones.
- Made in the USA.
- Superb, warm tones are well known world wide.
- Versatile quality works for all types of musical genres.
- They offer the world’s first string recycling program ever. Earn points for each and every string that you turn in.
- These are one of the first available in a corrosion free design.
- These strings should only be used on an acoustic that has a pin bridge.
String selection for the best electric guitar strings and guitar choices are and always will ultimately belong to those that are playing with them.
Newbies and those with the least time on their acoustic guitar would be the ones that typically enjoy the acoustic guitar strings review that we have put together but it was written to aide those of all various levels of experience.
You may like this post: Best Guitar Pedals